Tuesday, May 16, 2017

"Twice Startled; Never Bitten" by Lauren McBride, Frequent Contributor

Twice Startled; Never Bitten
Lauren McBride

The day I stepped 
on a centipede
and felt its multitude                                           
of little legs wriggling
under the arch
of my bare foot,
I never imagined 
I could utter a sound
that high-pitched -

nor did I imagine                                      
that I could run
all the way up the hill
in my heavy yard boots
to find my husband                                                   
until the day
I nearly weed-eated
a copperhead.

Poet's Notes: Both stories are true. Both happened in southeast Texas. Encounters with the poisonous are rare, but always memorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.