Wednesday, May 10, 2017

"Lost" by Mary Soon Lee, Frequent Contributor

Lost
Mary Soon Lee 

Each night, we travel a few leagues further
into the book in which I once lost myself,
or so some long-ago observer might have said
as I read it for the sixth or seventh or eighth time,
a solitary child who lost herself in books,
and this book most of all.

Your company is grand; you may well be
the best companion I have taken on this journey,
but I was never lonely when I read alone.
I walked behind Sam and Strider,
Gandalf and Gimli and Gollum, 
with Tolkien's hand upon my shoulder.  

This is not where I was lost,
but where I found myself.

Poet's Notes:  "The Lord of the Rings" is probably my favorite book. I first read it when I was nine years old, and re-read it many times as I was growing up. I read it aloud to my mother one summer; read it aloud​, years later, to my husband; read it to my first child, and then to my second child. It is one of those books that has become part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.