Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Editor Enjoys Teaching Experience Facilitated by Nepris

A first grade teacher at Patsy Sommer Elementary in Austin, Texas is currently teaching her class of six and seven-year-olds about poetry and wanted a poet to address the class, presumably to make the study of poetry more interesting. Through a lead on LinkedIn, I learned of this opportunity, which was facilitated by a company called Nepris. I began composing poetry right around six years of age, so I thought the timing was perfect.

Nepris provided all of the tech needed to bring me into the classroom. I was able to "share" with the class things I was typing on my computer screen, which the children could see in real time. I could see all of them, and they could see me. This is the first time I have every used technology in this way, which is commonplace now, but for me it felt like science fiction.

I had fun teaching the children about haiku, acrostics, shape poems, and free verse. I took a chance and made up poems on the spot from words suggested by the students, so the students could see the way I craft various poems. I was certainly in the hot seat and a bit nervous, but the poems came out just fine, and the children were really engaged!

As an incentive, I offered to publish in Songs of Eretz the teacher's pick of three poems that her class composes.  I hope she takes me up on the offer, as the children sounded really enthusiastic at the prospect!  If she does, I will publish the children's poems as a special feature.

Steven Wittenberg Gordon, MD
Editor

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.