Monday, November 28, 2016

"Princess Tea Party" by Mary Soon Lee, Frequent Contributor

Princess Tea Party
Mary Soon Lee

Three days after the party
I threw out the rose
they presented to my daughter
as she sat in her princess dress,
holding her brand-new princess doll.
     
Easy to discard the rose,
but not the memory
of twenty little girls
with pink tiaras in their hair:
fat girls and thin girls,
quiet girls and chatterboxes,
sipping apple juice tea
from twenty tiny cups;
twenty would-be princesses
waiting through the stories
and the songs
and the presents
for Her, the Princess Aurora,
and then the minute,
or less than a minute,
that she spent at each table,
smiling for her pay.
     
What happened to me?
What turned me into a collaborator
in that festival of pink,
I who had thought my daughter
would play with rockets,
climb trees in jeans?
     
Now, under my daughter's spell,
I tell myself
there was nothing wrong
with her pretending
the princess would lift her
into a fairy tale;
and nothing wrong
with my pretending
that all twenty little girls
would grow up
to be engineers.

Poet's Notes:  I wrote this poem after attending a Princess Tea Party with my then four-year-old daughter at Disney. It was a bizarre event, with a crowd of little girls in fancy dresses riveted by a woman playing the part of a fairytale princess.

The first draft of the poem was too long. I trimmed it down a few years ago and then trimmed it further a few months ago. Sometimes it takes a while before I can consider my poems with detachment.

In the meantime, Lucy has grown to a marvelous eleven-year-old. She no longer plays with dolls, rarely wears pink, and has listened to "Hamilton: An American Musical" approximately five hundred times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.