Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Poem of the Day: "Rachel" by Mary Soon Lee, Frequent Contributor


Rachel
Mary Soon Lee

In a cardboard home
decorated by her children
she sent my daughter
four wooden mice,
like the wooden mice
we played with ourselves
when we were school friends.
I remember the spaceship
we built for my mice,
and rooms laid out
with domino walls,
tiny padded armchairs
pulled up around a fireplace,
cups smaller than my thumbnail.
I remember a rope swing
stretching to the sky
in her grandparents' garden;
the chocolate cakes
her mother baked;
and how she visited me
every day for a week
when I had chickenpox.

Poet's Notes: Rachel was one of my best friends when I was growing up. We still exchange Christmas cards and occasional emails, but haven't seen each other in a long time. (My fault, for moving to America.) I was very touched when Rachel sent my daughter little wooden mice like the ones we played with years ago, together with a cardboard mouse house that her children had decorated. I regret that our children have never met each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.