Wednesday, June 1, 2016

"Twenty-five Years Wed" by Steven Wittenberg Gordon


Twenty-five Years Wed
Steven Wittenberg Gordon

Said the husband:  How lucky I that I have you my bride!  We built a home and raised children there together.  Our son is strong, and our daughter is beautiful.

Said the wife:  And yet I held you back even as I held you to my heart and our children to my bosom.  You could have been so much more--wealthy and powerful.

Said the husband:  You and our children are my wealth, more valuable to me than gold; and as for power, the only kind I crave is the power of our everlasting love.

Said the wife:  But I am beyond the bearing of children now.  My womb shall be forever barren; my breasts devoid of milk; and my looks already begin to fade.

Said the husband:  Our son and daughter are all the heirs I desire; to add to them would only take away.  And as for your looks, you appear as the laurel, ever lithe and green.

Said the wife:  Ha!  Flatterer!  My hair is streaked with white and my face already begins to show the signs of nearly fifty summers, lined with age and old.

Said the husband:  Not so!  For your hair is as the laurel in winter kissed with snow, and your countenance merely records your every smile--a delight to my heart.

Said the wife:  Then you would be content to live another quarter century as my mate, despite the inevitable decline in strength and stature we must face?


Said the husband:  I would be yours for half a century and more and forever in spirit in the great beyond.  For with you I have everything; without you I have nothing.






No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.