Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day Special Feature: "A Day in April" by Sierra July


A Day in April
Sierra July

Snow fell, one day in April
Lungs stilled, hearts quivered and froze
On what should have been
A warm day in spring.


Poet’s Notes: This is a sad and personal piece written to recall how I and the rest of my family felt when my dad passed away last year. As the poem states, it was a day in April and, though I didn’t think it at the time, that day was a contrast to spring’s image of growth and birth; thus I had to write about it.


Editor’s Note:  While Father’s Day is a source of joy to me as a father, it is tinged with sorrow to me as a son whose own father has been dead for many years.  As my father also died “one day in April,” I am personally moved by Ms. July’s brief but touching elegy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.