Monday, June 20, 2016

"At the Swinging Door of the Pub" by Tricia Knoll, Frequent Contributor



At the Swinging Door of the Pub
Tricia Knoll

I looked up expecting moon
and there was a swaying power line.

I looked to the power line for a squirrel
and saw two black high-tops dangling by shoestrings.

I looked at the shoes and hoped it was an omen
that you would walk back in.

The boy at the bus shelter said dangling shoes
was an our-turf gang symbol.

Another said drug sales nearby.
I saw only two wet sneakers.

My life, lonely barefoot-bereft
in front of a bar.

Poet's Notes: This poem is mostly fiction, although I always notice those pairs of shoes caught on shoestrings on wires that cross major arterials in Portland. Then I thought of how many of us wait for certain shoes on certain feet to come through the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.