Thursday, May 26, 2016

"The Latent Motion of Mannequins" by Ross Balcom, Frequent Contributor



The Latent Motion of Mannequins
Ross Balcom

1.

The mannequins: frozen Eros
in the shop window.
 
I had to do them.
"Here comes Papa!"

I smashed the window
with a trashcan, and then

I was all over them,
hammering them with my

pelvis. "I'm fertilizing the
void, the plastic void!"

Know me mannequins;
feel my fire, blazing.

2.

The men in blue arrested
me and brought me here.

"You can't jail my passion,"
I told them, seething.

You can't jail my fire.
It's spreading, spreading.

An army of mannequin
women, unfrozen, march

to free me. Millions of them,
their feet pounding the earth,

 a vast rhythm rocking
the streets, toppling buildings,

bringing down the walls
of this jail. "Come to Papa!"

A force unstoppable,
all-powerful, manifest

now and evermore. "Feel it,
feel it! Released at last:

The latent motion
of mannequins!"

Poet's Notes: We've all been exposed to stories about dolls and mannequins that come to life. Recently, while walking through a department store, I "saw" a mannequin move very slightly. I recognized this as a perceptual error, but the experience was still unsettling. I decided to write a poem about mannequins-in-motion, and this is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.