Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Poem of the Day: “Alpine Coaster” by John C. Mannone, Frequent Contributor and Poet of the Week

Songs of Eretz Poetry Review is pleased to present “Alpine Coaster” by John C. Mannone, a Songs of Eretz Frequent Contributor and this week’s Poet of the Week.  A biography of the poet may be found in the “About Our Editor & Frequent Contributors” section.


Alpine Coaster
John C. Mannone

In a body-molded skateboard
on rails, I prayed while ratcheted
up the mountainside, naked
to the wind with scent of smoky
mountain pine. I fidgeted
and quivered, imagined the wild
white-tailed deer and black bear
wondering what the hell
I was doing up here, me too.
At the top of the hill, a sign
said push the lever forward
to disengage the brakes. I fell
as gravity pulled. I heard it
laughing in between fervent
curses & prayers. For a moment,
I thought about jumping
into the physics of this
monstrous erector set, the forces:
rail to car, car to body, body to
heart racing faster than any coaster.
I questioned the construction
after every rattle and scrape
in the spiraling down. Whoosh
of prayers out-flying wind,
my throat now too sore
to yell anymore. In the end
when a grappling chain
arrested my fall, my heart
released to beat normal again.
And I prepared for the darkness
when I’d ride the coaster again.

Poet’s Notes: Recently my friend convinced me to ride he Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster in Pigeon Forge, TN. I’m not one who is normally a sissy when it comes to rides, but there was something ominous about this one. The feeling of vulnerability, and aloneness (passengers would ride alone or with another; the cars were separated at least by 80 feet (much more in my case because of some delays I was created). The 5-minute ratcheting to the top gave me plenty of time to build anxiety. I wanted to capture that feeling in this poem. I took advantage of numerous powerful line breaks to portray that tension. It was a great ride, so much so I did it again… at night. The lines were as long then, too (close to an hour wait).

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.