Monday, February 15, 2016

Poem of the Day: “The Universe’s Signs” by Tricia Knoll, Frequent Contributor and Poet of the Week

Songs of Eretz Poetry Review is pleased to present “The Universe’s Signs” by Tricia Knoll, a Songs of Eretz Frequent Contributor and this week's Poet of the Week.  A biography of the poet may be found in the “About Our Editor & Frequent Contributors” section.

The Universe’s Signs
Tricia Knoll

Old-growth forest guideposts. Respect.
The snick of sleet in my hair. Humility
Not full stops, u-turns
nor soft shoulders.

Like when stars
cast no light and the eclipse turns
the moon orange,
a wake-up clamor: now.

Today the squirrel will not leave
my bird feeder. I clap my hands
at him and his trailing mate.
I yell as warblers watch.

What good did I do?
The winter sky is clear as glass,
water frozen in the birdbath.
Wildness decides who owns what.



Poet’s Notes:  This winter in the Pacific Northwest has involved lots of staring out windows at the rain. My window includes woods, a swollen stream, and a landslide bank across the stream. If these are warning signs of climate change, I feel powerless. And, I can't even stop the squirrel from invading the bird feeder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.