Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Poem of the Day: “Monkeys with Typewriters” by Christopher Hivner

Songs of Eretz Poetry Review is pleased to present “Monkeys with Typewriters” by Christopher Hivner.  A brief biography of the poet may be found here: http://eretzsongs.blogspot.com/2015/12/poem-of-day-army-of-dreams-by.html.  

Monkeys with Typewriters
Christopher Hivner

My attempts to write
a love song to you
have ended in a
pile-up of distended words
with no life.
These derailed trains
of superannuated metaphors
lie at the bottom
of a canyon
burning out of control.

There will be no poem
detailing my affection for you
as I am incapable
of writing one
that doesn’t give me a headache.
The words I choose
mock me
with rolling eyes
and unintentional laughter,
turning my real emotion
into sardonic flotsam.

My profession of love
was to sound like Pablo Neruda,
but came out as a
Harlequin romance
generated by
monkeys with typewriters.
So the next time
we are together
I will give you a
wink and a nod,
a soft nudge in the side,
a raised eyebrow.
I will salute you
like the idiot I am
and you will know
you are loved.

Poet’s Notes: Pablo Neruda’s Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair is one of my favorite books, and Tonight I Can Write one of my favorite poems. During a writing session where I was experimenting with different styles I decided to try to write a love poem in the style of Neruda. For three days I tried. Every resulting piece was a disaster, which got trashed so I never had to look at it again. This led me to write “Monkeys with Typewriters” about my failed experiment.

Editor’s Note:  This one reminds me more of William Carlos Williams than Pablo Neruda, but it is good either way.  I particularly like the play on the word "salute" toward the end, though perhaps I just have a dirty mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.