Monday, July 6, 2015

Poem of the Day: "on a leaf" by Lauren McBride, Poet of the Week

on a leaf
ladybugs
comparing spots





Poet's Notes: I often find inspiration when I am outdoors enjoying a walk or my garden. "on a leaf" is one of those rare poems that just popped into my head in its final form when I spied a ladybug among my flowers.


Editor's Notes: I do not usually accept haiku that do not follow a strict 5-7-5 format, but I made an exception for this little gem. The spirit of the haiku is certainly there, and I enjoy the play on "spots" (spots on the leaf, spots on the insects, the insects viewed from above appearing as spots).


"on a leaf" first appeared in the 2012 spring/summer issue of The Aurorean. A brief biography of Mrs. McBride may be found here: http://eretzsongs.blogspot.com/2015/07/poet-of-week-lauren-mcbride.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.