Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Father's Day Poem by the Editor

Where Are Their Soldiers Now?
Steven Wittenberg Gordon

Here I sit in merry Mead
Looking at Greek art.
Many vases
Many faces
Confront me from each part
Of the room in which I read.
Centaurs that do battle men,
Wing’ed monsters represented
All in etchings
And in sketchings--
Those Greeks should be complimented.
Hail them once, twice, and again!
And yet, among what is unveiled
No scene, not even one,
Of all the stories
And the glories
Shows a father with his son;
Perhaps none was detailed.
Those silly Greeks,
They were undone.
They missed the father
And the son,
Caring only about battles won.
Where are their soldiers now?

Poet’s Notes:  I composed this poem circa 1987 at the Mead Art Gallery at Amherst College where I worked as an attendant while a student there.  The job mainly consisted of earning $5.00 per hour to do your homework (or compose poetry) at a desk near the gallery entrance--a highly coveted work-study job that I was fortunate to have obtained.

My son is now about the age that I was then.  I am not sure if my own father, may his memory be a blessing, ever read the poem--if he did, I do not recall that he ever mentioned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.