Friday, February 20, 2015

Poem of the Day: “Katherine” by James Frederick William Rowe, Poet of the Week

Songs of Eretz Poetry Review is pleased to present “Katherine” by James Frederick William Rowe, Poet of the Week.  A biography of Mr. Rowe may be found here:  http://eretzsongs.blogspot.com/2015/02/poet-of-week-james-frederick-william.html.

Katherine

I called her ribbons
Because I did not know her name
The clattering of her leg braces
Were like silverware in a drawer
          And still she ran

James Frederick William Rowe

Poet’s Notes:  I wrote this poem in about a three-minute moment of nostalgia.
Katherine is about Katherine O'Connor, the first friend that I made when I went to kindergarten at St. Gregory's in Loudonville, New York. I could not remember her name at first, so I called her Ribbons, because she always wore tartan-striped ribbons in her hair.

She also wore leg braces. I never found out why, but I assume she had some problem with her legs or back that required it. In spite of this, I remember a time when we were out in the field for gym class, and the gym teacher had her start us off in a race around the soccer field. He gave her a long head start, and, in spite of her braces, she ran dauntlessly forward.

I haven't seen her since kindergarten, although I think she was on the primetime Price Is Right a few years ago when Bob Barker was still hosting.

Editor’s Note:  I am reminded of something out of William Carlos William's Imagist period as I read this little gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.