Friday, January 10, 2014

New Poem: "The Benefits of Being Barney"

"The Benefits of Being Barney" is the latest installment in my poetic memoir, A Wave of Poetry.  During my first assignment with the Air Force, I became the squadron flight surgeon for the 27th Fighter Squadron.  Their pilots kind of adopted me, had me fly with them, and gave me a call sign and everything.

Fighter pilots, of whatever jet or branch of service, form a kind of fraternity.  When I boarded the Lincoln, I had merely to introduce myself by my fighter call sign, Barney, to be immediately welcomed and accepted as a brother by the FA/18 Hornet (pictured) pilots on board.  This had certain benefits for which I was most grateful.  At the time, it almost felt like coming home.  I was back in fighter country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.