Monday, October 21, 2013

New Flash Piece: "All That Shimmers"

There is a backstory to this story.  Shimmer is, sadly, one of many, respected professional speculative short fiction markets that I have targeted aggressively without result.  I have submitted to Shimmer nearly every story that I have written in the past two years--over thirty in all.  I received mostly generic rejections, but occasionally some personal ones.  Most of the personals indicated that while my stories were otherwise good, they were not "shimmery."  Some even suggested in a snarky tone that I "read the magazine" in order to find out the kinds of stories Shimmer publishes.  Good advice.  I took it.  I still have no idea what "shimmery" means.

5% of my poetry submissions have resulted in sales, but only a dismal 0.5% of my short story submissions have.  I usually receive a rejection every day--often more than one.  "All That Shimmers" was composed in part as a response to the frustration of having stories that I know are well-written be constantly shot down.  And Shimmer has shot down enough of my stories for a novel-length collection.

"All That Shimmers" takes the form of a satiric fairy tale.  I had great fun packing as many "sh" sounds into it as possible.  This playful consonance really makes the story shimmer.  I used other poetic devices to advantage as well.  Hopefully, the slush readers at Shimmer will have as much fun reading it as I had writing it.

1 comment:

  1. I've gotten the "It's not shimmery enough" comment also. I think it means, "we don't really like it, but don't feel like explaining why." I have a new piece into them now though, hopefully it's really shimmery.

    ReplyDelete

NO ANONYMOUS OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS, PLEASE. ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS WITH ATTRIBUTION (YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PUBLICATION. OUR MODERATORS WILL SCREEN OUT ALL COMMENTS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE CRITERIA. ALL COMMENTS ARE SCREENED.

If you wish to provide suggestions, feedback, or constructive criticism to the Songs of Eretz staff, please send your thoughts to SWGordonMD@gmail.com. You may or may not receive a response, but your thoughts will be read.